Who will benefit the most from flushing TV down the toilette?

Sunday, May 24, 2009

The revolution will not be televised (How YouTube saved me from boredom and la gripa del marrano)

Click here for Nielsen's full report on The Global Media Landscape (PDF; 5MB)

Just 3 weeks ago, Mexico City was under high sanitary alert due to the spread of the H1N1 flu virus (formerly, the swine flu or "gripa del marrano" in Spanish). One of the measures taken by the local Government here in Mexico City was to ask everyone to remain home as an effort to stop the epidemy.

At first it seemed kind'a cool, I gotta say. Working from home does have certain benefits such as not having to wear a suit and tie (but rather shorts and flip-flops), skipping all the traffic (which is ridiculous here in Mexico City), being able to wake up a little bit later and so on.

Almost as an instinct, I turned on the TV, left it like that for most part of the day and figured something interesting would be showing. Well, guess what... NO HAY NADA EN LA TELEVISIÓN!! (there's nothing on TV) Incredibly enough, I do have literally hundreds of channels and there was nothing I actually was interested in!!

During those days, one of my friends from the office sent an email about a global conspiracy to distract people from matters such as the crisis and unemployment. The email included a link to a movie in YouTube.

The rest is history. I clicked the link and saw the movie... I was able to stop it whenever I wanted, rewind, forward, NO ADS!! Then I figured that I could look for more movies and guess what?? I did find tons of great material that I was actually interested in. I saw movies, documentaries, funny ads, music videos, photoshop tutorials, you name it.

Now I barely turn on TV. I'm trying to figure where would this approach to communications would be of most value. Any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment

who cares (at least a bit) about this stuff?

who is this guy anyways?